The Children’s Hospital Charity is committed to protecting your privacy. This policy explains how we will handle the personal information you provide and what we learn about you from your visit to our website.
Related to Processing of Personal Information of The Children's Hospital Charity Supporters
Your privacy is important to The Children's Hospital Charity. This privacy notice provides information about the personal information that The Children's Hospital Charity collects about you whether online, via phone, mobile, email, letter or other correspondence and your rights. It refers to information collected from our supporters which include our donors, fundraisers and fundraising volunteers, our advocates and individuals who support the charitable aims of the organisation. By providing us with your personal information you will be agreeing to your information being used in the ways described in this notice.
1. Personal Information Collection
Personal information is information that can be used to identify you. The Children's Hospital Charity may request from you and process the following Personal Information:
The Children's Hospital Charity may collect personal information about you when you ask about our activities, make a donation to us, register for an event, engage with our social media, visit our website, order products and services, are a patient story for marketing and publicity or otherwise give us personal information.
We do not usually collect special categories of personal information about you unless there is a clear reason for doing so, such as participation in an event where we need this information to ensure we provide appropriate facilities for you. We will ensure that special category personal information is only retained for the length of time required to fulfil the service required.
If you use your credit or debit card to donate to us, we will ensure your payment is processed securely and in accordance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard. We do not store your credit or debit card details following the completion of your transaction. All card details and validation codes (CVC) are securely destroyed once the payment or donation has been processed. Only staff authorised to process payments will be able to see your card details.
When you are using our secure online donation pages, your donation is processed by a third party payment processor, who specialises in the secure online capture and processing of credit/debit card transactions.
2. Processing of Personal Information & Legal Basis
The Children's Hospital Charity will only process personal information in the following instances:
- - To process any donation(s) we receive from you.
- - For administration purposes e.g. to contact you about an event you have registered for or about a donation you have made.
- - To provide you with any specific information you have requested.
- - To update you about the charity via a direct mailing with any projects or appeals which may of be interest to you.
- - To send you regular communications via email which you have opted in to receive. This could include asking you to help us raise or donate money for our charitable causes and will always be in accordance with our Supporter Promise.
- - To invite you to participate in research or surveys.
- - To analyse and improve the services we offer.
- - Where it is required or authorised by law e.g. the financial conduct authority (FCA) require us to keep financial transaction information for 7 years.
The Legal Basis for this processing is that you have completed a form, made a donation or raised money through a third party such as JustGiving, therefore become a supporter for The Children’s Hospital Charity.
We may update your contact preferences based on information you have provided to the Fundraising Preference Service (FPS) or other such public registers. This is a legal requirement imposed on The Children's Hospital Charity to ensure that we are honouring your contact preferences. Any preference made through the FPS will override previous preferences received by The Children's Hospital Charity.
Keeping your information up to date
We would ask you to please let us know if you are moving house or would like to change any of your details in order to ensure we have the most up to date information.
We may also use third party information services to help us keep our records as accurate as possible, to understand our supporters and tailor our communications to the ones we think you will be most interested in. If you do not want The Children's Hospital Charity to update your information using these services please let us know as you have a right to not be included in this process.
We will clean our data in order to ensure we comply with our retention time of keeping your data. Please note if you have donated we will keep your data for 7 years after your final transaction however we will not contact you if you have opted out or we haven’t heard from you in the last 4 years.
3. Information Sharing
The Children's Hospital Charity will not sell or swap your data with any third parties. We will not share your information with any third party for marketing purposes.
We use carefully selected third party service providers, agents or other associated organisations for the purposes of completing tasks and providing services to you on our behalf (to process donations and to send you mailings). They will only use the data to carry out the required task and will not share it or store it.
If you participate in our lotteries or raffles, your information will also be processed by a third party company who administer and run these on our behalf.
4. Securing your information
The Children's Hospital Charity will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. Data is held on a secure server.
Our online donation services are always encrypted and our network is protected and routinely monitored. When you are on a secure page a lock icon will appear on your web browser.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we employ security measures to protect the information provided by you, the charity cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site and any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use appropriate security procedures and features aimed at preventing any unauthorised access, unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage.
5. Retention of Personal Information
Your Personal Information required for the agreement will be retained as follows:
|7 years from the last donation or event you took part in if you have given a donation. 4 years since your last contact with The Children's Hospital Charity if you have not given a donation.
|Special Categories of Personal Information
|6 months after completion of the activity it was collected for.
The information you have provided will be retained and used for four years after your last communication with The Children's Hospital Charity unless you ask for your details to be deleted. However if there is a legal requirement for us to retain your data we will do so for that purpose e.g. we may need to retain your contact details if you have made a donation.
If you request to receive no further information from us we will add parameters to ensure we do not contact you in future.
6. Your Rights in relation to your Personal Information
We use profiling techniques to ensure communications are relevant and timely ensuring there is a legitimate interest and to provide an improved experience to our supporters. Profiling also allows us to target our resources effectively.
- You have the right to be informed.
- The right of access – you have the right to make a Subject Access Request asking for information about, or copies of, the information we hold and the way it is used.
- The right to rectification – you may update or amend the information we hold about you if it is incorrect. We will also use data correction services to aid with this, which you can opt-out of us using.
- The right to erasure – request the deletion or removal of personal information where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing; the right to restrict processing – you can request the we stop any processing if the information we are processing is incorrect;
- The right to data portability – you can request the personal information provided by yourself, be exported in to a universal format so it can be imported into another system;
- The right to object – to processing relating to marketing and profiling;
- The right not to be subject to automated decision-making including profiling.
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (http://ico.org.uk).
7. Contact – How we use your information
How we use your information will largely depend on why you are providing it. Here are a few examples of how we would be using your personal data
- We use your personal information to help you whilst you are fundraising, offering support from our fundraising team. We will also send you a thank you letter and certificate in some cases once you have sent your donation in unless you have requested not to receive one.
- We use your information to gain a full understanding of your situation so we can offer the best donor care service.
- We use your information to keep a record of your relationship with us and for internal administrative purposes such as our accounting and records or a PR case study.
- We use your personal information to claim Gift Aid on your donations.
- We use personal data to carry out statistical analysis and research in order to help us to understand how we are performing and how we can improve our services.
- We may use your information to send you communications via a Direct Mail about our work and how you can help us to help you, for example, information about our campaigns, appeals, events, fundraising activities and how you can donate to us. We will only send you information if we feel there is a legitimate interest following analysis of your profile and supporter history.
- We will only send you marketing e-communications if you have completed a form, ticked a box or joined the mailing lists on our website opting-in for such communications. You may change your preferences, opt-out, at any time.
The only time we will send you e-communications even if you have opted out is when the information is critical for an event, such as event information or the event is cancelled.
You can let us know if you would prefer not to receive these communications at any time. If you have preference on how you would like to be contacted we will record your request and only use the means of communication you have asked us to. You can change your mind at any time about how we keep in touch with you by calling 0114 271 7203 or emailing [email protected].
If you are aged 16 or under please obtain permission from your parent/guardian before you provide The Children’s Hospital Charity with personal information.
If you wish to submit a subject service request please do so by email [email protected] or in writing to The Children’s Hospital Charity, Sheffield Children's Hospital, Western Bank S10 2TH.
The Fundraising Preference Service can be contacted via
- Online The Fundraising Preference Service
- Phone 0300 3033 517
- Post : Fundraising Regulator, 2nd Floor, CAN Mezzanine Building, 49-51 East Road, London N1 6AH
8. Our website
If you register with this website, or fill in a form on this website, you may be asked to provide information about yourself including your name and contact details. This information is personal information that can be used to identify you.
We may also collect information about your usage as you and others browse and use our website (see section on cookies), as well as information about you from messages you post to the website and emails or letters you send to us. We may also track which pages users visit when they click on links in emails sent by the charity.
We may collect information on your IP address which is used by your computer every time you connect to the internet. Your IP address is a unique number that is used by your internet service provider to identify your computer when it’s accessing the internet. IP addresses are automatically collected by our web servers so that data (such as the web pages you request) can be sent to you.
Web server log files are used to record information about our site, such as system errors. Log files do not contain any personal information or information about which other sites you have visited.
Cookies are created when you load a particular website. The website sends information back to the browser which then creates a text file. Every time the user goes back to the same website, the browser retrieves and sends this file to the website’s server. We use first party cookies in analytics, to provide overall statistics and in order to monitor how the site is being used. Information about opting out from Google Analytics can be found on google.com.
9. Photographs and Films
For all individuals under 18 years permission will be sought from a parent or guardian with a consent form. The consent form will seek permission for the child to be photographed and/or filmed for publicity purposes for The Children’s Hospital Charity.
The photographs, video and/or audio may then be used in posters, advertisements, newspapers, magazines, videos and/or other promotional material including websites, either now or in the future. All photos/video/audio will be used to promote The Children’s Hospital Charity and help us to raise more money for the hospital.
Consent forms will be held in a secure location and the Charity which will be updated regularly with any informed circumstance changes.