Trek Kilimanjaro for Sheffield Children's Hospital!
There are 25 trekkers set to take on Kilimanjaro this September for our hospital! Here are the details of the challenge they will be enduring, all to raise vital funds to help expand and transform our Emergency Department:
Its snow-capped summit rises high above the dusty African plains; huge permanent glaciers flow down from the summit, spectacular views and beautiful ice formations are the reward for pushing your limits both physically and mentally on this, the mightiest of charity challenges.
This is a tough trek in the world of charity challenge events which follows the beautiful Machame Route, approaching Kilimanjaro from the south.
Our trek for charity takes us through dense tropical rainforest, moorland and scree until we reach Uhuru Peak, the highest point. This is one of the most challenging charity treks at altitude, climbing one of the most impressive mountains in the world. On reaching the summit we will feel a sense of overwhelming achievement - a truly unforgettable charity challenge with exceptional support and encouragement.
Trek dates: 19th-29th September 2019. The duration of the challenge is 11 days with 7 days of trekking, trekking a distance of approximately 69km.
- Day 1 – Depart UK
- Day 2 – Arrival, meet local guides and transfer to hotel
- Day 3 – Machame Gate to Machame hut Camp – 3,100m
- Day 4 – Machame Hut to Shira Camp – 3,840m
- Day 5 – Shira Camp to Barranco Camp – 3,900m
- Day 6 – Barranco Camp to Karanga Valley Camp – 4,100m
- Day 7 – Karanga Valley Camp to Barafu Hut Camp – 4,600m
- Day 8 – Barafu Hut Camp to Uhuru Peak – 5,896m. descend to Mweka Hut
- Day 9 – Mweka Camp – Mweka Gate. Transfer to Arusha
- Day 10 – Depart
- Day 11 – Arrive in UK
This trek is sold out but keep your eye on our events page for details of our 2020 trek coming soon!