The one time we don’t want children waiting for the green man.
You can help build a new Helipad, £6million
We need to get patients who urgently need critical care to our Emergency Department as soon as possible. It really is the difference between life and death.
Sheffield Children’s Hospital is the designated Major Trauma Centre for children in South Yorkshire & Bassetlaw providing a service for a population of over 375,000 children and young people.
Children and young people arrive at the Emergency Department either by self presentation, road ambulance or air ambulance. In 2018 15% of arrivals were by air ambulance that is around 1-2 per month. Currently air ambulances can only land in daytime hours, because there is inadequate lighting in the park. A helipad on the rooftop would allow patients to be brought outside of daylight hours, which may increase the number of children brought to Sheffield Children’s Hospital particularly in winter months where daylight operation hours for air ambulances are very restricted.
The current arrangement for HEMS (Helicopter Emergency Medical Services) in transporting patients to ED is to land in Weston Park opposite the hospital. This landing site presents certain challenges to the safe transport of the child to ED and is far from ideal and some HEMS operators refuse to land in the park as a result.
Landing at the Northern General and transferring patients by ambulance to our hospital is no longer an option. A helipad would mean patients can land anytime with flood lighting. When the weather sets in, the new helipad would have electric trace heating incorporated into the deck to ensure that ice and snow do not disrupt the continued use of the facility during periods of inclement weather.
How to get involved
There are many ways you can get involved and help build a Helipad.
- * Take part in an event. From inflatable obstacles to running a marathon...
- * Jump out of an aeroplane, you know you want to!
- * Take on a tiny challenge like Kilimanjaro!
- * Hold a raffle, everyone loves to buy a raffle ticket!
- * Make an individual donation! Every pound will make a difference and if everyone you knew donated £10 we would be that little bit closer.
- * Organise your own event. Get into the ED spirit and hold a bake sale, raffle, fancy dress all with a theme of A&E.
- * Get your company or place of work to support the appeal and sponsor a treatment room. Please get in touch if you would like more information.
- * Sponsor a treatment room. Please get in touch if you would like more information.