When our Emergency Department is busy queues can lead outside the door with little or no space for parents and patients to sit and wait to be seen by a doctor or nurse. Expanding the department with a larger waiting area, space to play and a dedicated entrance only for ED will make a huge difference to the overall experience of visiting our hospital.
We can't wait for a new waiting room.
You can help make a change for the better with a new Emergency Department, £4.5million
Sheffield Children’s Hospital Emergency Department is a Major Trauma Centre, helping up to 200 children a day from South Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Lincolnshire deal with every possible problem imaginable. As the population of our region grows, so does the demand on our ED.
The department was built to see a maximum of 32,000 patients a year but now sees 60,000 patients. Our treatment is among the best in the UK, but our facilities do little to ease the anxiety felt by children and families at what is often a stressful and scary time. We want everyone who attends our department to not just receive the best care but also to have the best possible experience.
Why we can’t wait for a new Emergency Department?
You can help build a new Emergency Department, creating space and privacy so that children receive care in the most appropriate setting.
Every child who arrives at the Emergency Department is seen by a nurse in a Triage Assessment room. When it is busy, a treatment bay is used as a temporary triage area. With your help, we can create two dedicated triage areas so our nurses have a permanent space with everything they need, whenever they need it.
The expanded department would also see the waiting room expand to four times its current size, with more treatment, consultancy and examination rooms.
It will also see more isolation suites for any patients who may have conditions such as meningitis. Built with children in mind, they will ensure children get their own space and privacy.
How to get involved
There are many ways you can get involved and help build a Helipad.
- * Take part in an event. From inflatable obstacles to running a marathon...
- * Jump out of an aeroplane, you know you want to!
- * Take on a tiny challenge like Kilimanjaro!
- * Hold a raffle, everyone loves to buy a raffle ticket!
- * Make an individual donation! Every pound will make a difference and if everyone you knew donated £10 we would be that little bit closer.
- * Organise your own event. Get into the ED spirit and hold a bake sale, raffle, fancy dress all with a theme of A&E.
- * Get your company or place of work to support the appeal and sponsor a treatment room. Please get in touch if you would like more information.
- * Sponsor a treatment room. Please get in touch if you would like more information.