Cancer & Leukaemia Ward
Because for families home is where the patient is.
You can help redevelop our Cancer & Leukaemia Ward, £2.75million
Our Cancer and Leukaemia ward treats children from babies through to 19 year olds, in South Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Derbyshire and even as far south as Northampton. The department is one of twenty principle treatment centres in the UK and also cares for patients who have other blood problems such as bleeding and inherited disorders.
Around 25 bone marrow transplant patients are treated on our ward every year, staying for 6 to 8 weeks at a time in isolation. Patients who require routine Chemotherapy stay for 3 to 5 days before going home. Other patients can be treated for longer periods of time, sometimes over a year.
What’s the problem with the ward?
Whilst the care received is world-class, the facilities are not. Children who suffer from cancer can develop post-traumatic stress disorder, but you can help relieve the tension and anxiety. We want to deliver a new home from home with space, privacy and natural light to make isolation a place of sanctuary and calm.
The transformed ward would create private patient rooms with en-suite facilities, giving our patients a place to make their own and space for a parent to sleep comfortably alongside them. The new design will also allow patients to take in the inspiring views over Weston Park.
The redevelopment will increase the ward footprint, with larger bed bays and more isolation rooms. It will also expand the space for children to play and more than double the size of the ward classroom; ensuring illness does not interrupt patients who wish to continue learning.
How to get involved
There are many ways you can get involved and help build a Helipad.
- * Take part in an event. From inflatable obstacles to running a marathon...
- * Jump out of an aeroplane, you know you want to!
- * Take on a tiny challenge like Kilimanjaro!
- * Hold a raffle, everyone loves to buy a raffle ticket!
- * Make an individual donation! Every pound will make a difference and if everyone you knew donated £10 we would be that little bit closer.
- * Organise your own event. Get into the ED spirit and hold a bake sale, raffle, fancy dress all with a theme of A&E.
- * Get your company or place of work to support the appeal and sponsor a treatment room. Please get in touch if you would like more information.
- * Sponsor a treatment room. Please get in touch if you would like more information.